The following standards pertain to the alteration, reconstruction, and new
construction of gazebos:
- Gazebos must be located directly behind the house. Refer to Appendix B for common definitions.
- Applicants are responsible for compliance with county setback requirements and for obtaining all approvals and county permits for the alteration, reconstruction, and new construction of gazebos.
- The architectural design, character, and size of the proposed gazebo will be harmonious and consistent with the design and character of the existing house, adjacent houses and structures.
- Gazebos may be made from recycled plastic or wood lumber. Gazebos made from wood shall be properly maintained. Gazebos that are stained using an opaque 14 stain or painted must match the siding or trim color on the rear of the house. If a transparent type of stain is used, then it must be a natural wood color.
- Materials (e.g. roofing, siding, etc.) used in construction and color scheme are to be harmonious with the existing structures as well as the surrounding structures. For standards pertaining specifically to building materials and color please refer to the appropriate sections.
- The location of any gazebo will not impair the views or amount of sunlight and natural ventilation to adjacent properties.
- Gazebo roofs must be architecturally compatible with the roof on the applicant’s house and have a minimum pitch of 7/12.
- Gazebo flooring/decking may be stone, brick, concrete, stamped concrete, treated wood or recycled plastic lumber. Concrete and treated wood flooring/decking may be painted/stained to match the approved trim color of the residence. Any brick or stone flooring/decking features must match any brick or stone features on the existing residence.
- Gazebo foundations must be enclosed on all sides. Lattice skirts or board on board may be used to enclose the foundation of an elevated gazebo.
In addition to the basic application requirements, applications for the alteration, reconstruction and new construction of gazebos must include:
- Detailed drawings and architectural plans for the alteration, reconstruction, and
new construction of the gazebo, including exterior elevations and dimensions. It is
recommended that the application include the same drawings and architectural plans
submitted for any required county approvals and permits.
- Property plat/site plan showing location of proposed structure and its relationship
to property lines and adjacent houses.