The following standards pertain to the alteration, reconstruction or new construction
of cupolas and the addition/replacement of weathervanes:
- Cupolas and weathervanes may be installed on roofs of residences, detached garages, and gazebos. They must be installed on the highest point of the structure or exceed the highest point of the residence’s roof.
- Only one cupola/weathervane per structure is permitted.
- The architectural design, character, form, size and proportion of the cupola will be harmonious and consistent with the design and character of the existing house, structures and adjacent houses. Architectural detailing must match house.
- Materials (e.g., roofing, siding, etc.) used in construction and color scheme are to be harmonious with the existing structures as well as the surrounding structures. For standards pertaining specifically to building materials and color please refer to the appropriate sections.
- Roofs must be architecturally compatible with the roof on the applicant’s house and have a minimum pitch of 7/12.
- Weathervanes must be made of forged metal. Weathervanes should be finished in a manner, which is consistent with design and character of the existing house, structures, and adjacent houses.
- Weathervane figures must be consistent with the character of the community in
both design and size. Due to the variety of weathervane figures available, approval of
weathervane figures will be at the discretion of the ARB and will be evaluated on a
In addition to the basic application requirements, applications for the alteration,
reconstruction, and new construction of cupolas and the addition/replacement of
weathervanes must include:
- Detailed drawings and architectural plans for the proposed cupolas, including
exterior elevations and dimensions.
- Property plat/site plan showing location of proposed cupola/weathervane.
- Detailed specifications and drawings of the proposed weathervane including type
of material, finish type and color, size/dimensions. Catalog photos/drawings (if
available) are highly recommended.
- Photographs of the existing residence are required.