The following standards pertain to the alteration, reconstruction, and new
construction of chimneys and the installation of chimney caps and metal flues:
- Chimneys must be stone, brick, or stucco. The stone, brick, or stucco used to construct the chimney must match any existing stone, brick or stucco on the residence.
- If the residence currently has a chimney constructed of materials other than stone, brick or stucco (e.g., wood and siding) homeowners may add additional chimneys or replace existing chimneys with structures constructed of the same materials.
- Metal flues and chimney caps, if painted, and any vent protruding through the roof, if painted, are to be painted the same color as the roof or black.
- With the exception of flues used with gas fireplaces, which will be considered on
a case-by-case basis, flues may not protrude through the exterior walls of the
Application is not required for chimney caps and metal flues as long as the applicant complies with all of the standards above.
Application is required for the alteration, reconstruction, and new construction of
chimneys. In addition to the basic application requirements, applications for the
alteration, reconstruction, and new construction of chimneys must include:
- Property plat/site plan showing location of proposed chimney.
- Detailed specifications and drawings of the proposed chimney including type of
material, finish type and color, size/dimensions.
- Photograph of existing chimneys, when the application is for replacement or
addition of chimneys, chimney caps and flues.