The following standards pertain to all alterations, reconstruction and new
construction external to the existing house including, but not limited to room
additions and attached and detached garages.
This section does not include standards for screened and unscreened porches, decks,
porticos, greenhouses, pool cabanas and storage sheds. For standards pertaining to
these types of alternations, reconstruction and new construction please refer to the
- Applicants are responsible for compliance with county setback requirements and for obtaining all approvals and county permits for all alterations, reconstruction and new construction constructed upon any privately owned property or common area within Virginia Run.
- The architectural design, character, form, size and proportion of all alterations, reconstruction and new construction will be harmonious and consistent with the design and character of the existing house, structures and adjacent houses.
- Materials (e.g., doors, windows, siding, etc.) used in construction and the color scheme are to be harmonious with the existing structures as well as the surrounding structures. For standards pertaining specifically to building materials and colors please refer to the appropriate section.
- The location of any structure will not adversely impair the views or amount of sunlight and natural ventilation to adjacent properties.
- Roofs must be architecturally compatible with the roof on the applicant’s house and have a minimum pitch of 7/12. Exceptions may be granted on a case-by-case basis to maintain the architectural design and character of the existing structure.
- Basement emergency egress windows or doors should be located on the rear of
house. Side egress requests require a visual impact assessment and may require use
of privacy screening.
- Applicants are responsible for ensuring all alterations, reconstruction and new
construction do not have an adverse impact on grade or other conditions, which may
In addition to the basic application requirements, the application for alterations,
reconstruction and new construction must include:
- Detailed drawings and/or architectural plans for the alterations, reconstruction or new construction, including exterior elevations and dimensions. It is recommended 6 that the application include the same drawings and architectural plans submitted for County approvals and permits.
- Property plat/site plan showing location of proposed alteration or structure and its relationship to the existing house, structures, adjacent houses and property lines.
- Photographs of existing house and structures are required.