Over the next several months, the Declaration Committee working on the revisions will publish some of the major challenges the Board and residents will face as we prepare for the voting on the Amended and Restated Declaration by the Association membership. Committee members are Jay Johnston, Jason Collinsworth, Daryl Jackson, John Litzenberger, and Diego Quiros. The Amended and Restated Declaration will be a comprehensive rewrite of the existing Declaration, which for the most part represent the original builders Declaration, published on 17 March 1987. As such, it includes many outdated sections and paragraphs, which the amended and restated version will change. The “new” Declaration includes references to the Virginia Property Owners Association Act as well as a multitude of statutory amendments to that Act that have been passed by the General Assembly over the past thirty-three (33) years. The Amended and Restated Declaration also incorporates five (5) amendments to the existing Declaration that had been approved by the Virginia Run membership since the development of Virginia Run. They include:
- A) 10/9/87 FIRST AMENDMENT – Use of the Community Center for civic and religious/ charitable organizations & reducing quorum from 90% to 67%
- B) 12/17/87 SECOND AMENDMENT – Fixing typo for Pleasant Hill – it had $1,000 capital contribution in one section and $500 in another. This amendment made it $500.
- C) 7/2/1991 THIRD AMENDMENT – They amended Article XII. Section 2 again by removing some language but keeping the 67% quorum.
- D) 8/8/91 FOURTH AMENDMENT – Adding the separate trash assessment and other changes pertaining to assessments.
- E) 12/13/00 FIFTH AMENDMENT – Adding the Stanley Martin (Harcor) properties at The Ridings.
Because of the scope of the revisions, it will not be possible to have a side-by-side comparison of the builder’s version from 17 March 1987. However, the existing Declaration is available on the Virginia Run website in MSWord format (vs. the original .pdf) or you can request a copy of the .pdf version by contacting the management office.
The Declaration Committee has established a plan and timeline for the Associations knowledge and understanding of the process. Our goal is to be completely transparent in the revision process allowing members of the association to better understand the rational for the revision as well as understanding the processes necessary to gain a 67 percent or 2/3 approval rate.
Please click here to view June 2020’s Horn.